Friday, March 20, 2015

Oppresion on the College Campus

I am a standard college student working my way through an engineering degree.  I have a long background in science courses as well as the standard liberal arts courses for GE credit and there's one thing I'm really sick of.  The oppressiveness.  I hear stories from my grandmother over how hot debates on all sorts of issues were a regular thing when she attended college in the sixties, but anymore it seems that any opinion that differs from the norm is rejected and taunted as ignorance.  We are all supposed to go along with the idea that ethanol fuel is better for the environment even though several studies have shown it to have greater CO2 emissions than standard gasoline.  In addition I'm all for lowering CO2 emissions (along with all other pollutants), but it is complete blasphemy for me to mention that there are other factors that could be contributing to climate change including the very natural up and down trends of Earth's climate over the more than four billion years since it's been formed.  Geologic activity is up and that could contribute to climate change as well as our activity.  I will repeat, I am all for reducing pollution (and litter for that matter), but I don't believe that simply eliminating our factor in this will stabilize the climate when our planet has a long history of changing things up.  It bothers me as much as certain vegans who are always telling me about how their diet prevents and cures cancer.  There is no scientific evidence for this and while you are certainly eliminating a lot of carcinogens with the lifestyle, there is still a risk of cancer.  Please don't skip those cancer screenings.  You could die a very preventable death.
Short rant you guys.  I've been dealing with this quietly for several years and I'm tired of never being allowed to have an original thought.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment