Friday, March 20, 2015

Real Health at Every Size

Health at every size is simply not realistic but I like the idea that I believe it's trying to accomplish.  Nobody would say that a stick thin anorexic or bulimic girl is healthy so I don't understand why we should assure a 300, 400 or 500lb person that they are healthy when quite often they are not.  In addition, many of the individuals preaching health at every size are simultaneously telling thin girls that they aren't healthy, beautiful or even real women.  To me that completely misses the point.  Now if health at every size means that every person, regardless of their size, health conditions or age is working to live a healthy lifestyle in the best way they can then I am all for that.  However, in that instance I would argue that those HAES cards to bring to the doctor should be tossed out. (origins) If we want to get real about our health then our doctor is the best person to recommend steps to take to better it.  If your doctor is unable to help then ask for a reference to a nutritionist.  If your doctor is rude or dismissive (which happens more often then it should) then I would advise finding a new doctor.  A doctor unwilling to listen to you about this problem could be dismissive about other health problems as well, however, refusing to adhere to medical science for medical problems will not solve anything.  I understand that BMI can be very inaccurate in some cases, I myself at my preferred healthy weight tend to be around a 18 or 19 which looks borderline unhealthy on the chart.  I have had to build muscle in order to stay out of the underweight zone.  I know people who bulk up at the gym and their BMI's fall into the overweight range even though they are also very healthy.  These instances however account for an extreme minority of the population which means that generally, people between a BMI of 18.4-25 are close to their ideal weight and have significantly reduced their health risk for several conditions. 
In addition, I have heard several myths surrounding healthy living and would like for there to be an end to them.  A BMI of 24 is not the ideal weight for everyone.  I look very chubby nearing a BMI of 24 and have gained nearly 20lbs over my preferred weight.  I know I'm not the only one.  I was introduced to this idea by an ex-boyfriend who was hoping my breasts would grow if I gained more weight.  I am pear shaped so it doesn't work that way.
Thin and healthy individuals can die of heart attacks, have high LDL cholesterol and end up with diabetes.  Weight and health are not the only considerations for these diseases however if an individual who may have otherwise had a low risk of these conditions gains a serious amount of weight, especially around the waist, they have greatly increased their risk of getting these conditions.  A healthy individual with a long family history or very bad luck genetically can end up with these conditions as they age.  There is a misconception that the thin person will be put on medication right away in every instance.  This is false in the instance of high cholesterol at least. They will be given the same scolding about diet and exercise any overweight person would receive and be given a reasonable time to lower their numbers on their own before the doctor will hand over a prescription.  More and more scientific evidence is showing that good nutrition and regular exercise are better for controlling cholesterol and insulin resistance than medication. 
Our brains are wired to dislike exercise (evolutionarily advantages until very recently), but that doesn't mean the carrot sticks or burpees are bad for us.  A hunter gatherer walked/ran about 15km daily (male or female) and consumed around 2200kcal.  If they didn't want to laze around and rest in their very limited down time they would have quickly gone into a calorie deficit they could not afford.  They also had food as often as they could find it/catch it, this hardwired us to enjoy high calorie foods because we needed the fuel.  We work in offices now though, sitting at desks most of the time.  We have to curb these natural urges and eat the healthier options while trying to maintain a healthy level of fitness.  We have the power to override base instincts.  One to three cheat snacks (or even one cheat meal) a week however will not offset your progress unless you are recovering from a sugar addiction.
Drinks can contain calories.  They are not very satisfying.  I feel there is nothing more I can add to this.
This last one is simply ridiculous and I'll just leave it here for laughs.  Women with strong abs will not be able to expand enough during a pregnancy and should cease all ab work months before conception for an ideal softening of the stomach muscles.  Old wives tale you guys.  A strong deep core will help you push out your baby during labor and the rest of your body (assuming everything goes well) knows what it's doing.  Your abs will also not crush the growing baby.  I promise.  Listen to your OB-GYN, not the interwebs.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment